favorite papers

Acrylic Marbling
SouthHillKaren

favorite papers

Post by SouthHillKaren »

I marble with acrylic pigments on a methylcellulose vat. What papers do you like to work on? What paper do you use for everyday and experimenting? What paper do you use for "good" prints? If possible, please relate name of paper/manufacturer, composition, grams/square inch (GSM). Have you found papers which just don't work.....what was the problem?
SouthHillKaren

Re: favorite papers

Post by SouthHillKaren »

One paper I like is Riverside heavyweight construction paper..... 100% sulfite, "eggshell" finish, one side smoother, 70 to 80 gsm
Distributed by Pacon, sold in packs of 50 sheets 12" x 18", available through Dick Blick and some craft suppliers. This paper is just
heavy enough to withstand handling when wet, with care. It comes in about 20 colors, and multi-color packs, and the pulp is dyed,
so color is all the way thru the paper. Unfortunately, some of the colors curl excessively. I don't know if this is because of our water
or what, but I suspect the different colors of dye in the paper react differently to being wet. It has something to do with how the
sheets are finished, also. Some of the colors (the papers seem more porous) lie very flat and lie down on the top of the vat very
quickly, others are not as absorbent, take time to get wet, and curl. I have found favorite colors which lie flat, and they seem to
be consistent over several batches ordered at different times. The colors seem to be consistent over time too.
Unlike most construction paper, which is flimsy and fades easily, this one is better quality. White is one of the colors which curl.....
hhumler

Post by hhumler »

i am so looking forward to hearing from others. i also marble on methly cell using pro chem colors. i like to use about 60 lb paper as i do a lot of books and other projects requiring very flexible paper. i used to use the dick blick student sketch paper until they started using calcium carbonate as a filler - now the alum won''t absorb into the paper and i am stuck with lots of useless paper. i loved the low price of that paper = less than 10cents a sheet. so i am looking for a replacement that is reasonably priced. most of what i have read about is about $1 a sheet - a price i am just not willing to shell out.
so i really hope others will weigh in.....
SouthHillKaren

Post by SouthHillKaren »

in reply to hhumler:
I have heard from others who were satisfied with Dick Blick drawing paper at first, but found the quality changed. The presence or absence of calcium carbonate seems to one big issue. I believe, but do not know for sure, that some sellers, like Dick Blick, buy large amounts of paper to sell as 'drawing paper' from different manufacturers at different times. So you can receive a completely different product at times, ordering with the same number. You could try emailing/calling Dick Blick to ask about coatings when you order, but I suspect they do not know. When searching for cheap paper, it seems it will be sold by various outlets with a minimum of attached information. If you have certain qualities in mind, perhaps it would be better to work with a company or wholesaler who can guarantee certain characteristics. Unfortunately, there are not any manufacturers in the US that I know of who make paper specifically for marblers. I think it is still a market which is too small for full scale production. Talas, for a time, carried an 80# paper 'for marbling' which had reports of good characteristics. It is no longer available. A person from Talas told me that they had the paper specially made by a US manufacturer, but that the company had ceased producing it. I am on a list to be called if they find a substitute. I have been emailing with a person at Legion paper. They have a wonderful selection of papers and fantastic info on each type. You can use these details to narrow down ones to try. I have asked for many samples, and am happy to share my findings so far (in a later post). I have not found the golden paper yet. One which sounded perfect 'on paper,' so to speak, did not hold up to being completely wet, for instance. There is no way to tell except by trying in the studio. One thing seems certain. Paper which is very good for marbling is not going to be super cheap. I have also heard from people who live near a paper manufacturer, and have found one of their products to be adequate, which they can buy as roll-ends. I have no specifics.
SouthHillKaren

Post by SouthHillKaren »

Another paper I like is kozuke paper from Japanese Paper Place. Japanese Paper Place is a wholesale business, but their website has very exact information, and lists of their retail vendors all over the world This paper is 30% kozo (mulberry) and 70% sulfite, machine made. There is a very very faint imprint from the screens used in manufacture. Once the paper has been wetted twice, it is very hard to see the screen lines. The paper has a rough and smoother side. It is so absorbent that I use the smooth side for marbling. It is almost translucent but very strong. It is available in an off-white and ivory. Various sheet sizes are available, as well as rolls. It comes in two weights, I believe, 45 and 60 gsm. I will double check that, my memory may be wrong. I use the lighter weight.
In my studio I use acrylic pigments and methylcellulose in the vat.
Liberty Grove Paper Arts

Post by Liberty Grove Paper Arts »

I have found that inexpensive construction paper from WalMart, while curling a bit, works well for experimenting with colored papers. My go to paper is Texoprint which I purchase from Galen Berry, .https://marbleart.us. The price is not bad at 25-35 cents per sheet and the quality is excellent. I use carrageenan in my classes and my students get consistently good results. The paper reacts well to being wet, dries soft and flexible so I can use it for bookbinding and cartonnage, as well as collage. I also like Masa paper which I have purchased from Dick Blick if I want something that takes water well and has an interesting texture on one side.
Knighten

Post by Knighten »

Do you think the WalMart paper is going to be as lasting as some of those others are? I'm not convinced, but I may be wrong.
If you're very interested in rangefinder binoculars you have to check them out.
Hazel1235a

Post by Hazel1235a »

I usually use HP premium24 paper. It's now very favorite to me as it can be used multi print purpose. It's very heavy and thick worth to inkject printers. It advantages is it never make any ink bleeding.